Sunday, December 15, 2013

Calm seas never made a good sailor...

Hi everyone! We are waiting for our flight to Honolulu, HI to take off (don't be jealous.....ok be jealous) and I thought I'd check in! 

Last night I packed my life up for what feels like the 500th time this year. This time, though, it was in two bags...one that only currently carries my FWG. For you non-sailor folk that's foul weather gear....jackets and pants that are heavy and cumbersome but luckily for me do not count towards the 20 kilo weight limit that I am given for the sailing race I am participating in. There are 20 crew racing on my team in at least the first leg of the race (Brisbane, AU to Singapore to Qingdao, CH) and 13 crew for the second (Qingdao to San Francisco). So, as you might imagine if we were all left to our own devices, we could probably fill the boat with all sorts of unnecessary things. Weight limits are good. They make you really think about the importance of every item you take. Procrastinating to pack is bad. It makes you really anxious about having to think about the importance of every item still unaccounted for. Luckily, it wasn't my first rodeo and with a little encouragement from my wonderful parents and fantastic boyfriend, I managed to get everything (I think) I'll need into one large waterproof bag. It even closed on the first try! That bag contains everything I own and have access to from now until April when I get home. Except maybe a few souvenirs along the way....

On a similar note, I was catching up on The Walking Dead the other night and a scene panned over a photograph of a ship with this saying on it. 


I thought it a sign. It instantly brought me bck to why I signed up for the Clipper Round the World race in the first place. And I cannot express how excited I am to push myself past my comfort zone...probably past my challenge zone and more closer to my "oh fuck I have to change my underwear because I just shit myself but I only have 3 pairs left" zone. Hopefully I'll have figured out my Go Pro in time so I can share that moment with all of you!

Mahalo! XOXO

H

No comments:

Post a Comment