Friday, October 3, 2014

And we're off!

Yesterday Marked Day 1 of our transit with the rest of the water-based “snowbirds” down to Florida. We like to joke that we retired early…it seems that most cruisers have already seen the majority of their lives go by, entering into the long-term sailing phase after having settled all their other debts to society. Not so much for us. Living on a boat is something I have no intention of  doing when I am 65.

October 1st, we got a 5 AM start out of Lincoln Harbor Marina, and we made it to Great Kills Marina where my parents had their own boat Tiny Bubbles for many years. It was hard to be back there after Hurricane Sandy, but great to see that they’ve rebuilt everything that was destroyed. I don’t think I will ever forget that day, driving down Hylan Blvd and watching for familiar storefronts only to see them replaced with broken glass, tree trunks, and flooded streets. How relieved my mother and I were to see our trusty boat floating proudly in the middle of the harbor. How sad I was to make it to Singapore during the Clipper Round the World race this past February and find out that while she was capable of making it through the worst storm in NYC history, she hadn’t faired the icy waters of the artic blast that the Northeast had experienced this winter. While I was off experiencing the world, my parents were signing over the boat that had given them some of the best years of their lives. My mother still mourns Tiny Bubbles and I do not blame her. I know my father mourns her privately; I do not blame him either. That old boat….may she rest in peace, and may the happy memories created aboard Tiny Bubbles be the those that remain.

So Yuri and I are off to start a new chapter of Slivko-Bathurst-Bartz sailing. Please follow us on our journey here on this blog. And for those of you who need constant reassurance as to our whereabouts and safety, here’s a link to the GPS tracker we have on board that updates every 10 minutes:

We are currently about 3.5 miles offshore, hugging the Three Nautical Mile line. Our goal is Cape May by 10:00 PM tonight. We are making significantly better mileage than either of us anticipated, which is great because we hope to spend some extra time visiting along the way. It looks like we will not only be able to spend that time, but will continue to stay ahead of schedule as well- a big bonus!

Yesterday, we all spent the day acltimatizing ourselves to the swells of the Atlantic. Paula and Darell, our amazing crew without whom we would be lost, both felt a bit queasy throughout the day. Thanks to Meclazine for helping them overcome it. And no thanks to Yuri who excitedly turned on the macerator pump after we hit the 3-mile mark offshore to pump out our blackwater tank without informing us. Paula, Darell, and I were sitting on deck when we were hit with the smell. I watched as the two of them went from a healthy skin color to green, green, green. I tried not to laugh as I sent Paula to the bow so that she’d be upwind of the stench. A bit too late maybe? Luckily, there was no need for me to shout “Aim for distance!” and Yuri learned a good lesson about communication.

Ok, I’ve reached my 1-page limit so I’ll sign off now and go make dinner on my new stove!

Somewhere off the coast of Jersey Shore. Cabs are here!!!!

Heather


1 comment: